- Laurence Dreyfus director, treble viol
- Emilia Benjamin treble viol
- Jonathan Manson tenor viol
- Mikko Perkola bass viol
- Markku Luolajan-Mikkola viol
- Elizabeth Kenny lute
Contemplation and cultivation of the imagination appear to have been central to the English fantasia.
Purcell’s contribution to the genre, as so often with his work, reached heights rarely scaled by others, although he was clearly inspired by the legacy of compositions by Orlando Gibbons, William Lawes, Matthew Locke and John Ward.
Phantasm’s programme digs deep into the seventeenth-century viol consort tradition to reveal its greatest treasures.
- Henry Purcell: A Retrospective is made possible thanks to all our contributors to the Wigmore Hall Endowment Fund, whose purpose is to help fund important artistic projects.